Anna R. Bain – Silent Snowfall – , 36 x 30
Purchase this piece
Anna Rose Bain (b. 1985)
Anna Rose Bain is an award-winning oil painter based in Denver, CO. Her paintings often depict people in peaceful settings or places that evoke happiness. She especially loves painting women and children, and seeks to convey all of her subjects with honesty and sensitivity.
Anna was born and raised in rural Wisconsin. She began drawing from the moment she could pick up a pencil. Inspired by her grandfather, who started painting at the age of 70, she spent her free time as a child sketching from nature and poring over art books. She was self taught until starting classes at Hillsdale College, with a major in art. There, she fell in love with oils and decided to focus on painting. Under classical instruction, Anna excelled in the Hillsdale art department, sweeping juried art awards every semester. She received a full scholarship for her senior year, allowing her to attend summer painting classes at the Florence Academy of Art in 2006. She was the first student in Hillsdale College’s history to have a solo senior exhibit, and she graduated in 2007 with departmental honors. After graduating, she continued her education by studying with several renowned artists including Judith Carducci, Clayton J. Beck, III, and Nancy Guzik.
Anna’s style is a combination of both classical and direct painting methods. Her paintings are an expression of gratitude and an exploration of the questions one faces at different stages of their life. As a mother, she has found her voice in creating self portraits and paintings of her daughter that intimately convey the joys and struggles in her life. One of her paintings, “The Wait and the Reward”–which depicts herself at 34 weeks pregnant and her postpartum reflection holding her daughter at two weeks old–went viral on social media as it struck a chord with millions of people. Anna recently published a book of all of her paintings and drawings about motherhood in the hopes that it will inspire other creative parents and caregivers to continue pursuing their dreams.
Anna now resides in Westminster, CO with her husband, Steve, and their daughter Cecelia. She works full time as a fine art oil painter and commissioned portrait artist, teaches painting workshops, and is actively involved in the local arts communities. Anna is a signature member of the Oil Painters of America and an Artist member of the California Art Club. She is also a member of the International Guild of Realism, Plein Air Painters of Colorado, and the Portrait Society of America, where she has served as a faculty member and mentor. Her award-winning work can be found in numerous private and public collections around the world.
• Boldbrush Online Painting Competition (April 2017) – BEST OF SHOW for “Silent Snowfall”
• Portrait Society of America International Competition (2017) – Top 25 Finalist and Award of Exceptional Merit for “A Fleeting Moment”
• Oil Painters of America Fall Online Showcase (2016) – 2nd Place (Signature Member Category) for “A Fleeting Moment”
• Portrait Society of America Members Only Competition (2016) – Finalist in the Still Life Category for “An Artist’s Playground”
• Portrait Society of America International Competition (2016) – Certificate of Excellence for “Self Portrait in the Studio”
• Visual Arts Center of Punta Gorda National Exhibition (2016) – 2nd Place for “Self Portrait in the Studio”
• Richeson75 “Figure/Portrait” Exhibition (2015) – BEST IN SHOW for “Fledglings”
• PleinAir Salon (August/September 2015) – Best Figure in the Landscape for “Among the Hydrangeas”
• Portrait Society of America International Competition (2015) – Certificate of Excellence for “Fledglings”
• Oil Painters of America Online Showcase Competition (Summer 2014) – First Place for “Sharing Secrets”